The Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) is cautioning businesses and nonprofit organizations to examine their ability to operate in the event of a flu pandemic.
The Top 5 IBHS recommends these pandemic preparedness steps include:
- Determine when to curtail employee travel, domestically and internationally.
- Develop business continuity policies that provide work-at-home options.
- Address sick leave policies, since people with swine flu or those attending to relatives may need to be on leave longer that the current policy allows.
- Consider the impact a shutdown of public transportation or the loss of basic utilities would have.
- Determine at what point the organization would need to close its doors.
IBHS has also created a free Pandemic Flu Business Assessment.